Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Comforting Words

Art was getting ready to go up to the treatment center yesterday for blood work. Even on his chemo weeks off, he must have his white and red blood cell count measured. The whole process takes about 1 hour from start to finish. Add on the 1 ½ round trip drive that he makes every day and well, you get the point.

He sat next to me on the couch, perched on the edge. He gave one of those, I’m-so-tired, don’t-feel-like-doing-this, makes-you-want-to-comfort sighs. I instinctively put my hand on his back and started rubbing. “Hey” I said cheerfully, “you're half way through…” No, I thought, he’s not half way through. “Don’t worry,” I began again, in my best ra, ra voice, “you’ll get better soo,” and stopped myself. In the day to day of this cancer life, 4 ½ months is not soon. I made on last ditch effort. “Honey,” I started tentatively, “……..” nothing came out. This disease leaves even me searching for words sometimes.




No comments:

Post a Comment