Thursday, January 22, 2009

Back to the Beginning

These are journal entries from the beginning of our odessy. I will spend the next few entries catching up to where we are now.

Jan. 4, 2009

Art was admitted into the hospital tonight.

It feels serial. He’s been sick for almost 6 weeks now, getting worse over the past seven days.

Two pulmonary embolisms and as the ER doctor put it “the x-ray shows some kind of shadow” seem to be the cause of his growing discomfort with breathing.

They put him on Heprin as soon as they found the clots.

We are now in the Intensive Care Unit. It’s 2:00 am.

Before we left the house today, I made him pack his toiletry kit, some socks and underwear. I just knew he wasn’t coming home tonight. Sometimes it sucks to be right.

Jan. 5, 2009

I can’t really remember what I did today. I’m home now. The kids had a tough night with my being gone so suddenly. Must of triggered stuff for them too.

Got a call from our internist who says after doing a comparison of CT Scan from last week and his most recent one from his last oncology check up, there seems to be extra nodules.
That was confirmed by the resident on the floor again. No results from the cultures yet. No idea what the “shadow” is. Art's oncologist has said that it is not cancer. I am beginning to doubt him.


Plan of action is:
Heprin to reduce the clots
Insertion of blood clot filter
Biopsy new nodes in his lungs

Plan of action for me:
Call my mom
Find a babysitter for tonight
Stay in the moment ONLY

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:22 AM

    Please keep us posted on how Art is doing. We are sending many prayers your way - for you, Art, your children and extended family.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete