Saturday, January 24, 2009

Helpful Hand Tip # 47

Acknowledgement

We all want it. 

We all need to feel important to someone, preferably a few someones.  

And yet when tragedy strikes, we find ourselves afraid to acknowledge the tragedy or difficulty.

 "I didn't say anything cause I didn't know what to say!"  

That leaves the person in tragedy wondering if you even care!  Never a good thing.  

So, say something. It doesn't have to profound, unique, meaningful or helpful.  

Say you're sorry they are in this situation. 

In other words, 

say you care.  

Regret is great emotion in times of tragedy, so is compassion...for yourself.  You are probably not a healer so give yourself a break and open your mouth anyway.  Practice with me.

 "I'm so sorry you are going through this.  Just so sorry." 

 See...not so hard! No need to say any more. Trust me, a little acknowledgement goes 

a big way!

No comments:

Post a Comment