Thursday, January 29, 2009

January 18 - January 24, 2009

These are journal entries from the beginning of our odessy. I will spend the next few entries catching up to where we are now.

January 19
Note to Self

If you are on Heparin, have lymphoma that is attacking your lungs AND have just finished up a grueling round of chemo, it is not wise to get a nose bleed and then inhale the stuff back into your lungs.

Why?
  1. Your lungs don't need it. They have their own supply.
  2. Your lungs don't like it. They like the blood to be around them, not in them.
  3. You end up joy riding the hospital again, straight back up to the ICU (only 4 rooms from the original stay.
  4. You scare the bejesus out of your wife.
  5. She in turn calls your family who sends all three of your siblings, which is actually a really good thing.

Never the less, if you find yourself in this predicament, please tell your body to behave itself.

January 20, 2009


Art is doing much better today. He is alert, chemoed out an pissed off to be back in ICU. They are now giving him Heparin subcutaneously, no more dripping IV stuff.

His siblings and I take turns staying with him in ICU.

Oh and I need to give a huge shot out the nurses at Cedar Sinai. Compassionate, funny, helpful and willing to answer my like gazillion questions, plus humor my constant fussing. God I love them!


January 21, 2009

Art called me tonight at 11 PM wanting to see me. Packed my bags arrived at 12:15, sent Ken home.

He was confused, kept talking about not getting lunch. (It’s great that he’s hungry!) I went down to the cafeteria to get some food for him but it was closed.

When I told him it was closed, he looked confused and said “But why would the cafeteria be closed at 12 in the afternoon?”

Then I was confused. He didn’t realized that it was MIDNIGHT not MID DAY!

Frackin’ hospital has him all turned around.

It’ll be a funny inside joke someday, but right now it just pisses me off.

-----

Helping Hand Tip #13

Order a 1 year subscription from a fluff magazine, like People or OK.

------

January 22, 2009

I, Kim Hamer, do solemnly appreciate my bed. The flannel sheets, the non-down comforter and my pillow. Yes my lovely mushy pillow!

------

I, of course prefer to have him next to me also enjoying the same comforts but fevers and flannel are not a good combination.

He is in his chemo world. Floating, not focusing or thinking. Unable to focus on a story being read or follow a conversation.

Ah, now I remember. This was the hardest part. To see him, touch him but know that my partner, my husband was simply not here. Sometimes for days at a time. He turns inward, focusing his energy on dealing with the ache, the thought, the next moment. He does not react to my jokes or my smile. Yup, now I remember the incredible loneliness.

Well crap, that is a memory I really didn’t want to relive.

------

January 24, 2009

Things you can do when your husband is in the hospital.

· Get out the smaller broom to sweep.
· Drink the dregs from the apple juice bottle.
· Eat a full pint of ice cream instead of sharing
· Line his side of the bed with books and magazines
· Wear dirty eye glasses without guilt.

-------

Helping Hand Tip # 5

Send an email inviting the person in need a late breakfast or lunch with date, time, where and directions.

If they can’t make it, send ANOTHER email with 3 choices.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:55 PM

    I agree:
    Nurses are the best,
    especially night nurses.
    And nureses who see that you care,
    that you are there with your beloved,
    are most especially kind and loving.

    One of my fondest memories when we were with our son in the iscu, years ago, was awaking momentarily to see the night nurse leaning down to kiss my sleeping wife's forehead, as she sat embracing our son in the icu, as the nurse left for the day....

    jusr pure angels.

    ReplyDelete