When a person is in crisis or grief, doing the ordinary takes an extrodinary amount of effort. So why not help them out and wash their cars.
Remember when doing anything to help, your job is to make it as easy as possible on them. Below are some tips on how to do that for your friend.
- Call and arrange a time that works for them.
- Ask them to leave a key for you in a secret place. This gives them the option to visit or not and they won't feel obligated to chat.
- Take the car to your house or to a car wash.
- Don't forget to clean the inside of the car too. If there are items you are not sure if you should dispose of, place them in a bag and leave them on the floor of the passenger side of the car.
- Return the car within the agreed upon time frame. You don't want them wondering where you are.
- Leave the key in the prearranged spot.
Voila! You have an act of kindness that is helpful, thoughtful and simple for you!
The OMG (oh my God) I Need to Help Tuesday Tip© 2009
Every Tuesday (or in this case Thursday) I post a tip on how you can help someone you love in crisis. These tips were partially derived from the amazing community that my husband, Art, and I leaned on during his two bouts with cancer. He lost his battle in April 2009 and this amazing community continues to support me and our three children.
May you be part of a strong community for your friend. You can make all the differenc in the world for them.
To get more tips, go to http://www.omgineedtohelp.com/