Tuesday, September 22, 2009

September 22, 2009 Moths In the Pantry

The moths in the pantry are back. I check the flour, the beans, and the couscous. I check the box of forgotten rice crispies...waiting for the marshmallows and butter. Nothing there.

I check the cereals. Gorilla Munch. No. Koala Krisps. Nothing. Then I see it. The box of Optimum wedged into the corner. It was his cereal. I kept thinking I'd eat it ... but even my desire to be close to him could not make me put straight milk in my body. I open the box and the months flutter free.

Suddenly I am smashing the moths between my fingers, crushing them between the lining of the bag and box, content on my devastation of them, wanting to get them all. And I stop.

Composure. The kids are up. Besides I would have to clean up the mess. I'm too tired to do that. And then I think of the release of not caring, how wonderful it would be to let it all go.

Later I am reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and hiding my sobs from the kids. Harry has just returned, Voldermort has risen again, and he saw a friend die. And while Harry is recounting the story, I can feel Dumbldore and Sirius's sadness watching as this boy recounts what he saw. And then I think of Cedric's parents and I have to stop reading for a moment. And I suck in my breath in.

I recount my emotions. The terror I felt when I first saw him on Sunday morning, his eye unable to focus, he responding only sometimes to my voice, and not at all to anyone else's. How I thought he was crazy to tell me "I'm OK" when he had a moment of complete clarity, recognized me and the concern and fear I must have been wearing. My surprise seconds later, at his answer response to "Honey, do you know where you are?" He said "Yes, I'm climbing up, I'm going up." And how later, those words would sit on me and so would the anger at not telling him then and there that I loved him.

The go-ahead-I-can-take-it attitude to the on-call doctor on Sunday night who asked my briskly "What is his code?" "In English please" I had said. "What are his resuscitation orders." And I said, without hiccupping, as if I were the professional, "Keep him alive till my kids can say good-bye to him."

The next day, when our oncologist came in and said "He is going to die. He will probably go within the week." And the relief I felt. Finally, someone had said "die."

And then watching him go. The way his breathing changed, the way his color changed, the coolness of his hands.

And I can't believe this is my life. And I want to cry, and curl up and just wait for all this to pass. I want to stay in bed and function enough to use the bathroom and occassionally eat. I want this world to go AWAY.

But it won't. There is school to attend, meeting to get to and clients to see. There are trips to be planned, food to be made or accepted. I must function.

Some have said that I am brave, you have so much courage. And I want to laugh. It's not courage. My back is up against the wall. The only reason I'm standing is because it's supporting me.

5 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie, I wish I was there to give you a big hug.

    X

    Supa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right ... we are not brave. The truth is we have no other choice. I guess the choice we do have is how well we live after we adjust to the horror that has stolen our husbands.

    Great to see you are writing for Michele Hernandez's blog :-) I'll look forward to reading those.

    Good move to put comment moderation on. Actually I thought of you the other day and here is a link that may make you smile. I read Dooce's blog and she gets some nasty comments, so she put them all in one place ... it is very funny.

    Here is the post where she explains why she has done this:

    http://dooce.com/2009/09/16/your-momma-said-you-ugly

    and here is the new addition to her blog:

    http://dooce.com/hate/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:02 PM

    Keep "trucking", keep writing, keep putting yourself out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words take my breath away, I am woozy.
    Here's all I have to offer other than my long distance hand holding...the vision of the little engine that COULD and the little voice telling you "I think I can, I think I can". My God, I have no idea how you can. Keep chugging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:31 AM

    Or perhaps something/one/power/else unseen is supporting you. You don't have to acknowledge or even know that - just keep standing.

    ReplyDelete