Friday, January 22, 2010

January 22, 2010 Ezra's Pain


As my world stabilizes

As I look forward, instead of back

As I feel the earth rooting me,

it is exactly as the grief people said it will be.

"Many children hold onto their grief until the surviving parent is able to cope. And then...."

.....hell breaks loose.

I see them, beyond me.

They have changed from "one more thing to deal with"

to "how can I help them."

Ezra, in my room casually throwing himself aggressively on my bed in that boy manner says,

"Mom, have you ever thought about suicide?"

My heart does not skip.

I do not turn to him, startled. I have been warned.

His bereavement group leader called before the holidays. "He talked about wanting to die. This is not uncommon. Some kids long to see the dead parent so much they think suicide is a way to do it. However, Ezra kept repeating it. I told him this was very serious and that I would be talking with you. I think this goes beyond him just wanting to see his dad."

"Can a 7-year-old be suicidal?" I ask incredulously.

"Yes they can" she informs. I am silent.

I took in the information and let it swirl around in my head during winter break. Looking for any signs of depression.

Nothing till now.

Suddenly I have the mother-self-conscious awareness of the power of my words, aware that I have to keep this open. Oddly, I am not scared.

"Yes, I have Ezra. Do you feel like committing suicide?" my voice even.

"Yes" he says.

I turn to my closet, picking up a pair of shoes to put away. "Do not make this seem like a 'talk.'" I think. He is a boy, I must stay in motion.

"Why?" I ask hanging clothes in my closet

"Everyone talks about dad and I don't like it. I don't like talking OR hearing about him."

"Are the feelings that come up scary?" I can no longer resist. I sit on the bed and look at him.

"Yes, they are." he replies in a squished voice as he answers mid-summersault.

"For me," I say, "I sometimes feel like I can't possibly get passed them. I sometimes feel like dying would be better than feeling them."

And I swallow because every word I say is TRUE!

He starts into another summersault, but glances in my direction.

Searching? Seeing if I'm telling the truth?

"When?" he asks.

"On Tuesday," I say reflecting how now my grief seldom side swipes me during the day. How long has it been since they've seen me cry over Art?

He looks at me

and...

yells "Pallas, do you want to play?"

He leaps of the bed as if he just remembered there's bread in the oven and dashes out of the room.

I am left on the bed in between, crying and feeling courageous and dumbfounded.

I am sure of only one thing.

I am finally grief-less enough to help him.

No comments:

Post a Comment